Wednesday June 17 to Wednesday June 24, 2020
6 days | 7 nights at Kiridara Luang Prabang
The two villas for our workshops overlook the Mekong River, just a little ways from the main hotel complex. Free shuttles provide transportation between the main hotel and villas. Some readings will take place in town at Ikon Club alongside the market, and a river tour is offered as part of the schedule.
First time AAL clients will need to send either 3 flash fiction pieces, 3 poems, or a fiction/nonfiction manuscript between 1,500 to 2,500 words to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no charge to apply. Once we approve your application you can register for the retreat at this link and select “AAL New.”
Current and former AAL clients do not need to apply and can register for the retreat at this link. (note: former writing students of Robin Hemley or Xu Xi, please email AAL to waive the application manuscript).
We understand that you may wish to have a spouse or friend accompany you who will not participate in workshop. There is a non-participant fee of US$75. Each participant may register no more than one non-participant at this link.
Workshop and Retreat Fees
Former AAL clients get a 10% discount - $990 fee
What this rate includes:
- Daily workshops (limited to 10 to 12 participants) with
Robin | Memoir & essays
Xu | Novel & short fiction
Ira | Flash CNF & poetry
Chantelle | Genre fiction
- An additional 1/2 hour session with any one of the four faculty-authors/editors (you can submit a shorter work of 2,000 words to be read in advance OR get feedback on their workshop piece from a different faculty OR simply consult us about whatever they wish
- All salons, readings, extra generative writing or other publishing sessions
-The Lao welcome ceremony and dinner/reception, closing dinner/reception, and tours
Our other extra workshops include:
US$200 - Private 1/2 hour session for a consultation or review of a shorter piece (2,000 words) with an additional faculty member
US$130 - Pitch your completed book manuscript one-on-one, 10 minute session with Chantelle Aimée Osman, acquiring editor for Agora Books, an imprint of Polis Books. Agora specializes in crime fiction with an emphasis on social and cultural issues. She will also be taking pitches for Polis, which publishes mainstream fiction. Learn more about their focus here: http://www.polisbooks.com/about/. (If you do not have a completed book, you can register for a slot to show your synopsis and query letter for feedback.)
Limited slots available on a first come first serve basis.
Book at the special early bird AAL rate - ends April 30, 2020
US$80 per night (double occupancy)
After April 30, the rate goes up to $85/night.
Here's what the rate includes:
- Daily breakfast for up to two guests per room
- Complimentary one time round trip airport pick up/drop off
- 15% discount at Chef’s Table Restaurant
- 20% discount at the Spa by Kiridara
- 15% discount dry cleaning and laundry service
- Complimentary shuttle service to and from city centre
- Complimentary WiFi throughout hotel